Poucos contos e alguns trocados.

sábado, 29 de agosto de 2015

About money and translators

Leia a versão em português aqui.

Sorry for bad english.

In a beautiful day, I received this comment in my post about dresses for Frozen's dolls.




I (after I laugh a lot, evidently) think that I had written "cem paus" - "pau", in portuguese, means stick, money or dick. And google finds the worst traduction. And I check my post. And do you know what was written?



Fast traduction: "When I show the bride dresses, my partner from sew class (which has a daughter on the same twin's age) fallen in love with them and ask for one too. She bring me fabrics, two wonderful blue fabrics, and dolls to dress, an Anna and an Elsa, from Disney's Frozen. She told me she paid 20 in each one "so cute, and dressed with horrible dresses". The truth is: I think she paid so much, 'cause Anna has small legs and arms and Elsa has a ugly color. (whatever, the original dolls cost more than a hundred pilas and are not good).

"Pila" is a word for "real", brazilian money. "Pilas" is a plural word, but, in spoken language, we usually say in singular: 10 pila, 100 pila.

I was perplexed. Pila has no meaning about penis - or I don't know it. So, I type "pila" in Google Translater and has no translation. After, I type "pilas" and - you guess - show "dicks". And I ask you: WTF? Why the word hasn't translation in singular, and plural form has? Course, there are many words that have only plural form, like trevas (darkness), óculos (glass) and férias (vacation) - but "pila" isn't one of them.

In spanish, "pilas" has traduction: pollas, which means "chicken". After, I search "pilas" in google images and appears this.

 And I think change the word "pilas" to avoid more embarrassment. The options are reais (the official name), contos (from verb "count"), paus (sticks) or dilmas (name of Brazil's president). Pau, although can means "dick" too, Google translates as "stick". The girl is still confused, but not thinking I'm a pervert. I think about "pau" meaning "money". My sister thinks it means stick (like someone use stick like money), but, in my opinion, the reason is the word "paulada" (thwack), because portuguese has many phrases a bit violent about money: "Tal coisa custa os olhos da cara"(this costs an face's eye) , "vender um rim para comprar determinada coisa" (sell a kidney to buy anything), "o preço é uma facada" (the price is a stab), "as coisas estão pela hora da morte" (the things are by death's hour) - all these phrases talk about very expensive things. The word "pau" means about expensive things, too. It can means 1000 reais, too: this car costs 40 paus.

Whatever, I will choose the usual: write that the dolls cost 100 pila.

2 comentários:

  1. Sorry my comment stirred all this trouble. I didn't think you would swear in this otherwise family-friendly blog, but thank you for the full explanation regarding money. By the way, Google still thinks this page is in Portuguese and tried to translate it; before switching to the original, there were 10 "dicks" and one "cock" (translation of "pau") in the text and it translates the singular "pila" as "dick" too! I guess the only solution is to hover over the bad translation and choose "contribute to a better translation" over and over and do the same thing on the Google Translate website.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Isn't a trouble. I laughed a lot, because it's so funny! My friends think this funny too.

      You are right. In portuguese, we say "ficar de boas" to this.

      Thank you for read my blog!

      Excluir

Obrigada por ler a postagem! Agora quem está curiosa pra saber o que você achou dela sou eu!